Reflective backpacks are vital for people who walk or hike at night. In addition to reflective clothing, a hi visibility backpack can protect you from potential harm. Drivers and passersby will both find it easier to see you. We’ve taken a look at some of the best reflective backpack options for people traveling at night.
Our top pick overall is the Riderbag Backpack. In addition to the high reflection levels, the backpack is super comfortable. It is made from water-resistant materials and has a waterproof cover, so it’s perfect for all kinds of weather. And the large capacity organization works great no matter how much you need to pack.
The 12 Best Reflective Backpacks
The Riderbag is our top choice overall for reflective backpacks due to the outstanding quality and design. Available in four vibrant colors, this lightweight backpack is super reflective to keep you safe on the road. It’s also outfitted with multiple comfort features. The straps and back panel have both been padded for extra cushioning, and the breathable fabric is comfortable even on hot days.
The bag is built to be water resistant, keeping your items safe even in the toughest weather conditions. The cover is even completely waterproof. Cleaning it is simple and easy. Inside, you’ll find 35 liters of space with multiple organizational compartments. A laptop sleeve can securely hold laptops up to 16 inches, while water bottles can be held on the sides.
- Available in 4 highly reflective colors
- Extra back and strap padding for breathable comfort
- Super roomy interior with multiple compartments
- Includes water bottle and laptop compartments
- Comes with a waterproof backpack cover, a helmet holder, and a survival keychain
Proviz Reflective Backpack
The Proviz backpack sets itself apart by using 100 percent high visibility reflective material. The water resistant construction is specifically built for cyclists and athletes. You can fit the backpack against your entire body using the chest and waist straps, so the bag remains stable even during heavy activity. Adjustable, easy-release buckles make a comfortable fit.
The certified 100 percent reflective material will appeal to anyone concerned about very low visibility. If you live in particularly dark, winding, or busy areas, you’ll want the extra protection. AquaGuard zippers keep your stuff safe and dry. Inside, there’s a laptop compartment. On the outside, you’ll find mesh pockets for water bottles or valuables.
- Crafted with 100 percent reflective materials
- Chest and waist straps for stability during heavy activity
- Ventilation system keeps your back cool with long periods of wear
- AquaGuard zips keep water out of the bag
- Comes with a laptop compartment and reflective side pockets for water bottles
Related: The 14 Best Backpacks with Shoe Compartments for 2023.
LOVEVOOK Reflective Backpack
This luminous geometric backpack is the perfect fit for any fashion-conscious woman who wants a little style with her safety. Instead of the usual reflective strips, the backpack has a colorful and bright design made up of interlocking geometric triangles. It’s also one of the more affordable options on the list.
The holographic material shifts colors in the light, creating a dazzling rainbow effect. The interior is lined with polyester. Rather than using traditional backpack zippers, the bag has a drawstring closure, making it ideal for those who want easy item access on the go. The durable construction and roomy inside can hold a variety of different materials.
- Shimmering geometric pattern with holographic coloring
- Drawstring closure for easy item access
- Fashion-forward design for those who like pretty things
- Durable materials and voluminous interior
- Customer service guarantee from the manufacturer
Salzmann 3M Reflective Backpack Cover
This item is perfect for those who want a reflective waterproof backpack cover to suit their needs. The high visibility cover is both weatherproof and waterproof, so it’s excellent for cycling and hiking. If you already have a backpack and want to add a reflective layer to it, you don’t need to look further!
The 3M Scotchlite material can reflect light from over 600 feet away at night. The waterproof rating is 15,000 mm, meaning that your items could stay dry even if you dropped it in a puddle. You can use the cover on standard and oversized bags of up to 36 liters. The adjustable straps can be fastened around the backpack for a unique, custom shape.
- Highly reflective backpack cover is visible over 600 feet away
- Weatherproof and waterproof to keep your materials safe
- Great for those who want to cover an existing backpack
- Adjustable straps give you a custom fit
- Can accommodate small to oversized backpacks of up to 36 liters in volume
BTR Waterproof High Visibility Backpack Cover
Another ideal reflective backpack cover, this option will appeal to those who want a range of neon colors to choose from. The 2-in-1 design is 100 percent waterproof and has high visibility in any lighting conditions. You can use this bag to protect your backpack and make yourself visible in wet and dark conditions.
The easy-fit system is a unique aspect of this product. You simply hook the straps to the backpack and then pull on the cord. The cover will automatically gather closely around your bag. You can also simply move the top strap aside whenever you want to access your backpack, rather than needing to take the whole cover off.
- Available in pink, blue, green, and yellow
- Easy fit cover design makes setup super simple
- Top strap can be moved aside to access your backpack
- Great for those seeking a reflective cover for an existing backpack
- 100 percent waterproof to protect your entire bag from the elements
Another high visibility cover for those with existing bags, this easy-cinch option is available in multiple bright colors!
Shugon High Visibility Backpack
The Shugon backpack is a great choice among this reflective backpacks list for anyone seeking a more moderately sized backpack. Crafted with high visibility yellow material, it’s visible from hundreds of feet away. It has a carrying capacity of 23 liters, allowing you to pack lots of materials while remaining lightweight. On top of that, it’s machine washable for easy maintenance.
The backpack is outfitted with one main compartment that has separate pockets. There’s an interior pocket for your iPod or MP3, which includes a rubber earphones outlet. You can listen to music while keeping your device protected. Two mesh pockets on the side can hold water bottles or your valuables. The expandable front pocket can carry a helmet, too.
- Bright reflective yellow backpack with a 23 liter volume
- Machine washable for super easy maintenance
- One main compartment, two mesh side pockets, and a front pocket
- Front pocket can expand to hold a bike helmet
- Internal iPod pocket includes a rubber earphones outlet so you can listen on the go
Related: Stash Your Stuff With One of These Backpacks with Secret Pockets
The Locallion reflective backpacks are specifically built for cyclers. It’s one of the smaller options on the list, but if you’re looking for something reflective and aerodynamic, this is your best bet. The back panel has integrated mesh to allow breathability and keep you cool. The lightweight nylon fabric is reinforced and tear-resistant.
You can use this as a drinking bag on the go, as it can accommodate a water bladder of up to 2 liters. A chest and waist strap can secure the bag for cyclists and runners. The wide shoulder straps disperse the weight over your body. Thanks to the adjustable fit, this reflective backpack is a great option for both men and women.
- Small, aerodynamic backpack built for cyclists
- Can be used as a drinking bag with a 2 liter water bladder
- Breathable mesh paneling on the back for increased comfort
- Wide shoulder straps disperse weight evenly
- Chest and waist straps allow a more secure fit on the go
Related: Shop our 17 Favorite Convertible Backpack Purses for 2023.
Holographic Sling Bag
Another geometric bag, this gorgeous holographic backpack is great for women who want something a little more heavy duty. Rather than using traditional backpack straps, the bag is outfitted with a crossbody sling. You can wear it over your shoulder and rest assured that the fit is secure. Or you can use the adjustable shoulder straps instead!
There are also more organizational options with this bag than with the other holographic print. There are two front zipper pockets, one roomy main compartment with an interior zippered pocket, and two open side pockets. The linen lining keeps your items safe, while the exterior PU leather is water resistant.
- Gorgeous geometric holographic design
- Can be worn as a backpack or crossbody bag
- Comes with multiple zippered pockets plus two open side pockets
- Durable PU leather exterior with a soft linen lining
- Adjustable fit for comfortable wear on many different outings
Reflective Drawstring Backpack
If you’re looking for the most affordable and simple option on the market, you don’t have to look further than the BeeGreen reflective backpacks! This drawstring bag can securely hold your sporting equipment, while the backpack straps make it easy to carry. It works best as a gym bag or a carry-on for your clothes. You can take your pick of 5 highly reflective colors.
The durable nylon material is super lightweight. When the bag isn’t in use, it can be compactly folded and stored. There are also adjustable shoulder straps. Thanks to the extra large capacity, you can carry clothing, books, and sporting equipment. The breathable mesh keeps you cool throughout the day, too.
- Highly affordable drawstring backpack design
- Simple construction can hold a variety of clothes, books, and equipment
- Adjustable drawstring shoulder straps
- Breathable mesh material increases comfort and endurance
- Lightweight but very durable nylon fabric materials
Imperial Motion Reflective Backpack
This fully reflective backpack from Imperial Motion is designed with comfort, versatility, and safety in mind. The shell is made from full-reflection materials, while the exterior features stylish webbing and branded trim. With a carrying capacity of 20 liters, this is an average sized backpack that can handle most of what you throw at it.
The lining is crafted from embossed nylon, allowing for supreme durability. There has been abrasion resistant technology added to the bottom. A secure laptop compartment cradles your electronics with soft fabric. Meanwhile, the shoulder straps and back panel are both padded with breathable air mesh. And the zippers are extra durable and easy to pull.
- Average sized backpack with a fully reflective shell
- Internal laptop compartment stores electronics in a soft, padded pocket
- Padded back panel and shoulder straps for extra comfortable breathability
- Durable nylon lining with an abrasion resistant bottom
- Stylish exterior including daisy chain webbing and branded trim
The Swissgear Mercury reflective bag is specifically built for those who need to travel with laptops. It includes a protective pocket that accommodates laptops of up to 16 inches. The reflective piping on the exterior improves visibility even in dark and rainy conditions. You can hold an umbrella or water bottle in the open side pockets.
In addition to the backpack straps, the bag also comes with a padded grab handle. That makes it easy to carry by your side if you want. The padded back includes air flow materials to keep fresh air moving throughout your day.
- Practical backpack design with reflective exterior piping
- Interior zippered pockets and exterior mesh pockets for water bottles
- Includes a protective, padded laptop sleeve for 16 inch laptops
- Padded grab handle for easy carrying at your side
- Breathable and padded back for comfortable carrying all day
The reflective backpacks from Hex will appeal to anyone who wants a more relaxed, neutral toned design. Instead of neon colors, this option uses reflective grey camo coloring. A padded storage sleeve can hold laptops between 13 and 15 inches, while a padded tablet pocket in the front lets you easily access your electronics.
The large zippered compartment can hold a variety of items. There’s also an organizer for small items like cards, keys, and pens. The zipper pulls are crafted from genuine leather for maximum durability and longevity. Meanwhile, the interior is created using completely recycled poly lining. When you use a camera flash, the reflective print glows for amazingly cool photos!
- Neutral toned backpack with reflective gray camo
- Print glows in a camera flash for cool photography tricks
- Comes with an organizer for small items
- Includes both a padded laptop and tablet pocket
- Zipper pulls crafted from genuine leather for extra durability and longevity
Buying Guide for Reflective Backpacks
Not all reflective materials are created equal. Some reflect more light than others. An ideal backpack choice will be visible from several hundred feet away, so you’ll be easily seen by drivers in low light. Options like the Proviz Reflective Backpack use 100 percent reflective material that’s actually been certified by certain safety standards.
Reflective Piping or Design
In some cases, backpacks might not be made from reflective fabric. Instead, they use reflective piping or design elements. These might appeal to people who want a less “loud” backpack during the day. The Swissgear Mercury backpack is an example of a relatively normal backpack design reinforced with reflective piping for extra visibility.
The brighter the colors are, the easier they’ll be to see. Many backpacks are available in a range of neon colors that look similar to highlighters. For example, the BTR Waterproof backpack cover can be purchased in almost every neon color of the rainbow. Another unique option is the Holographic Sling Bag, which uses reflective holographic material to shift colors as you watch.
Other Useful Reflective Accessories
Light attachments are safety lights that can be used by runners, bikers, and even dog walkers. The goal is not only to make you visible to those around you, but also to illuminate your path. If you’re walking on uneven sidewalk or a trail after dark, the extra light could keep you from breaking an ankle.
These lights are designed with three lights in each device. Though the design is super lightweight, you can choose from three lighting modes: slow flashing, fast flashing, and steady illumination. The high quality batteries allow for a maximum of 100 hours of battery life. Clip a light to your backpack strap, shirt, or your dog’s collar.
- Small lights attach to your backpack or jacket
- Can illuminate your path and make you visible to others
- Battery life of up to 100 hours
- 3 different flashing modes to choose from
- Comes in packs of 2, with 3 lights in every device
Reflective vests are a must have for any runner who is often out after dark, especially when a backpack may be awkward or uncomfortable to take along. These particular vests are designed to be super light and comfy. They even have an adjustable waist and a large pocket to hold your extra accessories. There are six sizes available, so you don’t need to worry about not finding one that fits.
Reflective vests are ideal because they make you visible from all directions. Reflective backpacks, on the other hand, are only highly visible behind you. A good reflective vest will allow you to be seen from 750 feet away even in poor weather conditions. This design uses breathable fabric to keep you cool as you walk or run, so it’s ideal for athletic individuals.
- Vests with highly reflective material for 360 degree visibility
- Super lightweight and comfortable design
- Available in 6 sizes with an adjustable waist
- Includes a large front pocket to hold your accessories and valuables
- Allows for visibility from a minimum of 750 feet away
Reflective tags are solid accessories that can be easily clipped to your jacket, backpack, purse, stroller, wheelchair, or pet’s collar. Even though they’re small, they get the job done. The tags reflect headlights and provide visibility at a super affordable price. This could be added to your reflective backpack for an additional layer of visibility when out on the road.
You can purchase these tags in white, orange, or fluorescent yellow. The yellow coloring tends to give you the greatest visibility, with the material visible from 800 feet away. The microprismatic material is super durable and can stand up to inclement weather, too.
- Small reflective tags that don’t require battery power
- Simple and unobtrusive to add to an outfit
- Affordable way of increasing your nighttime visibility
- Can choose from several different bright colors
- Durable microprismatic material can hold up against poor weather
Reflective Arm Bands
Reflective arm bands are often favored by cyclists and runners and can be used as an alternative or in addition to a reflective backpack. They make you highly visible from the side, so they’re a good complement for a backpack. You can purchase these particular bands in sets of 2, 4, or 10. According to the manufacturer, they’re highly visible from 800 feet away.
The design is lightweight and breathable, so it’s another option favored by athletes. It’s also easy to take on and off thanks to the fully adjustable design. You can wrap the bands around your arm or leg no matter your size. The manufacturer also notes that the bands will stay in place with any clothing material without sliding around or causing discomfort.
- Reflective arm bands work well for athletes like cyclists and runners
- 360 degree visibility, including from the side
- Available in packs of 2, 4, or 10 bands
- Provides visibility at 800 feet away in dim conditions
- Lightweight and breathable with an adjustable fit for maximum comfort
Final Thoughts on Reflective Backpacks
Reflective backpacks make you highly visible on the road, even in the darkest and wettest conditions. The best reflection can be seen from several hundred feet away. If you often walk on busy streets after dark, one of these bags could keep you safe.
The right bag for you will vary depending on your needs, style, and weatherproofing preferences. That said, our overall, top pick is the Riderbag Backpack. This bag is versatile enough to organize both clothes and school supplies. It has a water-resistant exterior that keeps your stuff dry in the rain, and it’s outfitted with maximum comfort for long term wear.